Indigo put out it’s list of the Top 10 Life Changing Books.
It’s an interesting list…here are some of my thoughts on it:
- The Bible- yes. live by it. deserves to be on this list.
- To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee, 1960.- love love love this book. I think I read it in grade 10 for the first time. It was the first novel that really made me want to write.
- Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom, 1997.- I like it. Not on my top 10 list though. Hm.
- Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, 1908.- Oh, I just love Anne. LOVE!
- The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini, 2003.- YES! This book was so enthralling, captivating, all-encompassing. Absolutely one of the best books I’ve read this decade.
- The Alchemist, Paul Coelho, 1988.- I liked it. Again, wouldn’t have put it on this list.
- The Book of Negroes, Lawrence Hill, 2007.- I LOVE this book. Like “The Kite Runner” this story was woven so tightly, so captivating, played with my emotions. Beautiful.
- Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, 1997.- OK, I couldn’t get into this series. It’s just not my thing…but I can appreciate why people love Harry.
- The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien, 1954.- See my thoughts on Harry Potter. Same.
- Life of Pi, Yann Martel, 2002.- I’ll get shot down for this, but I didn’t really even like this book. I just felt like it was trying too hard and I couldn’t get into the plot. It was a big let down for me.
So, what would I add to the list??
- Animal Farm, George Orwell- First novel that ever made me cry. I’ve read it so many times and still love it each and every time.
- The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood- I thought this was, by far, the best Atwood book I have ever read. Really made me think about how easily our lives can be stripped in one foul swoop because of technology- and how quickly women can become second-class citizens once again.
- Lord of the Flies, William Golding- Amazing. Just amazing.
Any others I missed? What would be on your list of life-changing books?